We will be hosting a winter riding workshop, pro bike fit and a bike pizza party. This is your chance to learn some useful bike info and to hang out with the BU Bikes crew. Participants will also be able to get some cool bike swag simply by coming by.
Here is the official flier for the series:
No Comments »
Our website has just been upgraded! Check out the resources page to get a whole bunch of useful information including an in-depth explanation of the different types of bikes and how much they cost as well as a list of the local bike shops and what they offer.
Also, don’t forget to keep checking out Facebook page to get all the whens and where for out events. BU Bikes also has a twitter which needs followers. We need people to use are twitter so that we can coordinate event cancellations or postponing as well as let people know about events both on and off campus.
No Comments »
Two quick updates:
Tomorrow Sept 12, Landry’s will be hosting it’s first basic mechanics class of the season. It will be held at their store on 890 Commonwealth Ave from 6:30 – 8:00pm. Come learn how to fix a flat, operate a quick release and much more! More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/695494520479880/?ref=3
This upcoming Sunday, Sept 15, we will also be going on a group ride to the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plan. We will be planning for a picnic (potluck style) so feel free to bring something to munch on while enjoying Olmstead’s park and diverse horticulture. We will be leaving from Marsh Chapel at 4pm. Please RSVP via https://www.facebook.com/events/555207934532420/?ref=3 so we know who to wait for. Hope to see you there!
1 Comment »
Thanks all for checking out our table at splash yesterday. A heads up for this upcoming week: BU will be hosting a bike and pedestrian safety awareness day this Thursday, Sept 12, from 11am – 2:30pm. Come meet local bike shops, bike and pedestrian advocacy groups, and learn more about biking safe on the streets. More info at http://www.bu.edu/bikesafety/.
Reminder: Since this event is on the same day as Tool Time, there will be no tool time this week!
No Comments »
BU Bikes will have its first Tool Time this upcoming Thursday – Septebmer 5th from 11am – 3pm. We will be in front of the GSU with tools and people ready to help fix and maintain your bike.
Come swing by for a tune up or a stay a bit for chat, we would love to see you there!
No Comments »
September 6th from 6 to 7 pm followed by group bike ride
We are meeting in the Center for Gender Sexuality and Activism (our unofficial headquarters) in the basement floor of the GSU across from BU Central.
Join BU bikes for our first big event of the year. Hear about all the upcoming projects and events that we have planned for the rest of the semester. Pre-order one of our awesome BU Bikes t-shirts. Meet the new board members. Hang out. Bringing food potluck style would be great! Join us for out first group ride of the year after the party. BRING LIGHTS AND A HELMET!!
12 Comments »
For the students who want to be able to have a bike on campus but who cannot afford to buy a bike to have at school, now is your opportunity. The Free Bike Project is coming to BU and their mission is to provide free bikes to college students. There are 25 bikes being sent to BU. There are still some bikes left so sign up now!
4 Comments »
Get ready for SPLASH this year! It is going to be a little different but still just as fun. This year it will held on the Cummington Mall from 1 pm – 4 pm on Saturday, September 7. Come by and check us out to learn about what we have in store for this coming semester. Also, come by and sign up to be an official BU Bikes member. You will receive a membership sticker as well as the gratification of being part of the coolest student organization on campus. We would like to start adding additional benefits for people who have a BU Bikes sticker on their bike or helmet but we can’t do that until we get more people involved… so get involved!
2 Comments »
BU bikes hopes that all our members are having a wonderful and bike filled summer. Unfortunately summer doesn’t last forever. The up side is that the closer we get to the fall semester the sooner you all can go back to hanging out with us. Make sure that you stop by our table at SPALSH to say hello and to learn about all of the events we have planned for the 2013/2014 school year.
Here is a sneak peek of some of the stuff we have planned for the Fall:
- Group bike rides every Friday
- “Tool time” and the GSU farmers market every Thursday
- Saturday mechanics classes
- Meetings on Mondays to discuss our Projects and Advocacy Campaigns
- “On Bike” City riding skills classes
- New membership program
- General Bicycle happiness
Also, for those of you who are not in Boston during the summer, check out the improvements that the city and the bike safety committee have been making on Comm. ave.
Look at those bright green bike lanes and the shiny new reflectors! And we now have bike boxes too!
No Comments »
Posted by bubikes in Rides
The weather looks like it’ll be good, so BU Bikes will be having our first group ride of the season this Friday to Cambridge Side Galleria. This should be an easy-going and beginner-friendly ride down the Esplanade: a scenic bike-and-pedestrian-only path by the Charles River.
All BU members (student, faculty, staff, and alumni) and their guests are welcome to join in this free event!
BU Bikes Group Ride
Destination: Cambridge Side Galleria
Meet: Marsh Plaza
Departure time: Friday, April 26 at 5:00pm (well, 5:10pm, but try to arrive by 5pm)
Return time: 7:00pm (as a group, you may leave earlier or stick around individually if you choose)
The Cambridge Side Galleria is a shopping center (mall) with a food court, many clothing stores, and many department stores. For more information about Cambridge Side Galleria, see http://www.cambridgesidegalleria.com/.
If you plan to go shopping, please bring a backpack or something else to safely carry what you buy on the ride back.
- Need a helmet? Come to Marsh Plaza at 4:30pm for a group-walk to the BU Judicial Affairs Office for a free bike helmet! We’ll also show you how to fit (properly adjust) your helmet before the group ride. Alternatively, you can also go there yourself to get a free bike helmet (map).
- Need bike lights? We have many free clip-on rear bike lights available; just show up.
- Bike needs maintenance, adjustments, or fixing? Come to Tool Time this Thursday from 2pm to 5pm and we’ll show you how to fix your bike.
- Not comfortable riding in traffic yet? We’ve designed this ride to be beginner-friendly. Except for a few blocks in the end, the route is entirely on a dedicated bike path (and those last few blocks are short enough to walk without falling behind too much). We’ll also have experienced bikers leading and following to ensure that the ride goes smoothly.
- Bad time or scheduling conflict? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know when will be a better time for future group rides.
- Bad weather? In case the weather is bad, we’ll send an update to let you know about any changes.
- Don’t have a bike? I have a few free Hubway one-day passes available. Just send me an email through email@example.com before the ride to let me know that you need one.
- Other questions, comments, or concerns? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Comments »